Monday, January 08, 2007

Ravens vs. Colts Match-up Set

Despite The Sun salivating over the multitude of stories and columns it can run on Baltimore's former team facing Baltimore's current team in the playoffs, I find myself apathetic about that aspect of Saturday's game.

I know there's still a lot of bitterness in Baltimore toward the Colts because of how they skipped town in the middle of the night, and while I understand it, I don't share the feeling.

But I was born in 1983, just over five months before the infamous Mayflower trucks took the Colts from Memorial Stadium in the middle of the night. I didn't have any memories of the original Colts for the Irsays to steal, so I can't even pretend to feel similar resentment to older fans who were here for the Unitas years.

So here's my basic feeling:

Indianapolis stole Baltimore's team, Baltimore stole Cleveland's team and Cleveland got a new team. Everyone's even, right?

Well, not so much even. The Ravens won a Super Bowl in their fifth season in Baltimore, where as the Colts haven't even made it to the Super Bowl in 23 seasons in Indianapolis and the Browns, old or new, haven't won a championship since the championship became the Super Bowl.

All that being said, here's some reading for the week leading up to the Ravens' first playoff game:

Colts are coming by Jamison Hensley, The Sun

AFC Divisional Playoffs: Colts at Ravens, ESPN.com

Divisional Playoffs Game-by-Game Analysis, NFL.com

Three things each team needs to do to win by Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

Colts not interested in history lessons by Rick Maese, The Sun

In search of an encore by Mike Chappell, The Indianapolis Star
 

No comments: